View Single Post
Old 25-06-23, 21:52
MLU Administrator

Default UXO reserve

Adrian, Phil, I agree with you. I too have the experience that wildlife thrives on ranges - in fact, any place where man does not come often. The wildlife would not be too bothered by a couple of big tracked tractors recovering these hulks. Surely, the next day the birds would be back and any removed foliage would quickly grow back.

But some people's hobbies and jobs are all about wildlife, and they will do anything to prevent disturbance and don't care anything about a rusty tank hull. They see it as a shelter for the Scarlet Tanager or similar. Our hobby is the opposite, we would do anything to recover a rusty tank or truck, and would not see any harm in disturbing the Scarlet Tanager or Wood Thrush for a few days in the process.

I read the Patuxent Research Refuge was established by Executive Order in 1936, so I wonder if the military took in back during WW2 to make things go bang. Anyhow, a pointed out above, in this case it seems this former military area is (at least partly) a reserve, to not have to bother with the UXO. Over on the AFV Association forum this remark says it all: "He says there were five Crusaders at the research refuge, but warned that they warn you to stay on the trails & sign a waiver lest you step on some unexploded ordnance".

So Chase, I'd say get over there, sign that waiver and go find those hulks - but do tread lightly!

Click image for larger version

Name:	PaxCrusader1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	134910