View Single Post
Old 15-04-05, 17:58

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
It's funny, but the cynic in me is struck by the irony of all this attention devoted over the years to the death of one man in a war which took 50,000,000 souls.
Geoff,

You are absolutely right.

For me much more important is the fact that our, the Polish and the Canadian, tanks fought together in the Operation Totalize to capture Estrées-la-Campagne and Quesnay for instance than "who killed Wittmann". As the Falaise Gap researcher and military history publicist I would like to discover at first why the Poles were absent at the Hill 140 if they had Gen. Crerar's order to be there than "who killed Wittmann". It would be also more important to stopp American-Polish strife for treatment of the German POWs at Chambois, and who killed more POWs there, than "who killed Wittmann".

"Who killed Wittmann" is not important throughout. What is important they are the efforts in aid of new publicistic culture related to common British-Canadian-Polish history of the Operation Totalize and the days after. I do not want to see the bullshits in Polish books that the Canadians were not at Trun, on the other hand I do not want to see the bullshits in the Canadian books that the Poles "have run out of food and ammunition because of the inefficiency of their organization" (quotation from the Canadian book). These are important things, not "who killed Witmann".

That is why you have to forgive us guys both "a cynic in Geoff" and my sarcasm from time to time.

Best regards

C.