View Single Post
Old 13-05-23, 19:41
Chris Preston

Default Camo Netting on Sherman Firefly Mk Ic (Hybrid).....

'Morning Tim and Jakko,

This build is using Tamiya's 16th scale M4 (105) Sherman as the starting point.

The intention was to use as many kit parts (suitably modified) as possible, starting with the lower hull. As the kit suspension uses HVSS suspension units, with wider tracks, sprockets and idlers, etc, all the running gear was replaced with Mato VVSS units with Mato Sprockets, Idlers and Idler mountings, and new tracks with duckbills. In hind-site, it would have been easier to start with a complete new Mato metal lower hull with running gear already mounted, and ready to receive Mato gear boxes.

The Upper hull uses the rear portion of the kit hull mated to an after-market cast resin front hull (matching the real Hybrid hull) from Nick Aguilar, with weld marks and Applique Armour from sheet plastic added. The Turret is also a Nick Aguilar resin product for the Sherman Firefly, with a Tamiya turned metal 17 Pdr Barrel purchased many years ago.

I also am using lots of 3-D printed aftermarket accessories to finish the build off, including a correct early pattern Commander's Hatch, British Antennae mounts, and other small details.

All my photos are stored on my computer, but if you contact me privately with your e-mails I can send you some photos of work to date.

Cheers,

Chris,
In Victoria, BC