Thread: Dodge T110L
View Single Post
Old 31-08-21, 03:46
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
My close knowledge of Dodge trucks is with WC Dodges. With closed cab Dodges I have seen two types of opening windscreens The US army style (with the arms and knobs as per an MB Jeep) and the other one with the handle in the dash center with the "push chain". I can't recall seeing a truck with a fixed screen? I still don't understand what is different about Australian assembled opening screens.
Hi Lynn

Chrysler Australia had their own body making plant in Adelaide, a subsidiary called TJ Richards. Australian Chrysler bodywork - truck cabs and car bodies, typically would have the 'TJR' raised stamp visible on the firewall. The early WW2 era Australian Dodge army trucks and the RAAF staff cars , would have TJR bodywork fitted . The Canadian made cabs arrived later on, with the cabs being included in the T110L CKD kits , but even then, these Canadian cabs were modified and fitted with the Aust. pattern roof hatch.

The 1940 TJR truck cabs have the standard fixed civilian style windscreens but the factory eventually tooled up for the production of the required army mods which included a opening windscreen. The pic is of a Dodge with the TJR cab with opening windscreen, the hinges are visible. Not sure of the exact design of the TJR windscreen opening mechanism but my Plymouth utes ( with TJR bodywork) had a central push lever arrangement.

The vehicle pictured appears to be a army DD1-16 model with 116" wheelbase, 16" rims , but it has a unusually wide rear body fitted, normally these models had a typical 'ute' style body. I had a 1946 DD1-16 for years as my everyday car , it was very reliable and I drove it interstate a few times , it is pictured with my nephews , the day I found the Command Car body at Caragabul N.S.W.

I found a pic of a earlier production army Dodge ute with the fixed windcreen, I think this scene is the Ryde vehicle park, a 12cwt Dodge/Plymouth car based GS VAN is also seen.
Attached Thumbnails
052203.jpg   dodge2.jpg   112889.jpg  
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 31-08-21 at 04:33.