View Single Post
Old 14-08-21, 07:35
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
On behalf of the many (I have not asked) and myself, Thank you Mike! I will keep you in mind, but would not take you up on your offer lightly.
There are many areas these days, that are not available in a small country like N.Z. For instance.
Things like American thread form fasteners are fast disappearing from stock lines in this country. Of late. I have been looking for screws for QMC WWII tail lights and have bought a pair (2 screws)for AU $6.60 which is bloody steep. Hopefully they turn up with the right heads and hopefully stainless?
Another thing I cant seem to get here is flaps (rust bands) for a 600 or 6.50 x 16 (combat rim) Seems silly to me.
I buy BSF fasteners from the U.K. because although the odd supplier here, has some 1/4" and 3/8" bsf, nuts they cant / dont supply 5/16 bsf. ( I need them for my riveted carriers)
The world is fast changing.
On another note, I have found a company that will crimp ends onto a jeep hand brake cable. They are a marine company that makes rigging for yachts.
Yeah everything is changing fast. But the local hardware store in the village here will still sell you nails by weight, the store employee uses old fashioned scales and the nails are put into a brown paper bag . He also sells Whitworth thread fasteners but for how long ?

It's getting to the stage of having to make your own fasteners , I've done this a few times, lucky for me that I have a few different taps and dies, including some B.A. taps that I found at a hamfest , these particular B.A. taps were made by the Pratt & Whitney engine Company U.S.A. Go figure that one !
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad