View Single Post
Old 14-06-21, 02:45
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
More:
1: Next are these army green telephone boxes. The photo inside shows the full setup. The candlesticks are missing as are the hand-cranks for the ringers, so the quest for those begins. But I did get to hear those bells dingeling all the way home, even after putting paper in between the clangers and the bells.

2&3: I grabbed one of the rangefinder telescopes. It is missing one eyepiece along with the instrument stand, so the search for those will begin.

4: There was a box of live ammunition, which was mostly shotgun shells. The owner does not want live ammunition in his sheds, as the storage laws for this kind of stuff has increased over the years, and as well he is worried about fire when 70 year old ammo goes off. There were 3 larger caliber bullets (20/40 marked) which appear to be live, with dark blue heads. (edited: a google search shows this to be likely Lahti 20mm ammunition).
1) The candlestick telephones are sought after and will definitely not be cheap, I suspect.

2,3) very nice, I hope you can complete it.

4) Are those for (as Dean A. Grennell memorably described it) "the Lahti 20mm anti-tank cannon of formidable puissance"? I have seen the beast in question: snowboard-mounted, and with a muzzle brake like a giant harmonica. There is something very worrying about a "rifle" that you can insert your (cotton-gloved) thumb (it was in the Enfield Pattern Room) into the end of the muzzle brake without touching the sides.

Best regards,
Chris.