Thread: Identification
View Single Post
Old 13-03-05, 18:51

Smile You all surprised me !

Hello there oever-the-ocean-Canada! I was the one, the troublemaker, your "tormentor" from the Netherlands. Thanks to you all, at last, I reached my goal after so many years: the name of the Army-unit, photographed at Hilversum in front of the Ruysdaelschool. So, we can say: "also today you all are still irreplaceable!" For sure you did all a great job!
From April 28th til May 10th, we commemorate and cellebrate the liberation of the Netherlands. As far we know today a lot of Canadian Veterans will visit our country. Here in Apeldoorn we welcome our Canadian guests in the CanadianClub. There's also a messageboard which shows the photo of the 155 Canadian Soldiers full size: 80 cm wide. Also to find at the informationdesk is a showmap with passport photo's of each individual Soldier in the size 4,5 x 6 cm. Maybe, just maybe, one or some soldiers will be recognized from the picture . . . The pictures is part of our family photo-album and has it's own story, because two of the soldiers were part of the family during some time. My family still celebrates our liberation every year, beause it's important to realize, not only the Canadian Soldiers that survived the war are our liberators, but also those who died for our freedom. In fact: I can write this note today because they liberated the Netherlands!
With kind regards,
Wigger K. F. van der Horst