View Single Post
Old 05-02-05, 01:21
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Murray
Your vehicle is assuredly a GM product but a bit strange for a raid car as if you look at the relationship of the German troops size to the vehicle it appears to be based on a light truck chassis as opposed to a passenger car. The wheels/tyres also seem to indicate something other than a passenger car chassis. Or, by 1944 the Germans may have just been putting whatever wheels/tyres they could find on anything that was still running.
As far as I know the Dutch Pag-trekker (AT gun tractor) was based on a light truck chassis. As it had seats for the gun crew it was put to use a raid "car" (truck? vehicle?) - no doubt the troops could get out to round upsome civilians as quickly as was originally intended for the AT gun crew to dismount.

Quote:
Bit off of your subject, but I have read in several books that Germany, based on not only Hitler's thought process but also seconded by his top aides, refused to go to a total war footing as regards conscripting German citizens for the war effort well into 1944.
Indeed I understand their whole economy did not switch into full war mode until 1944, i.e. before that factories still made "consumer's goods" as we would call them today. It still amazes me how that country could take on the best part of the world and last as long as they did.

H.