View Single Post
Old 10-12-17, 00:15
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
Chris S. What would you know about a pole (poles?) carried on an AOP Carrier?
The carrier has brackets (I have the remains of one) on the side for a short wooden extension ladder and there is a pole (I assume) for doing something with telephone wires.
The Dagenham production book shows the pole but only enough to make out that that is what it is. I wondered if you might be able to fill in some details about it. Then I can stop side tracking this thread.
The hole in the bracket is an elongated round hole 21 x 34mm.
Possibly for a crookstick used when cable laying? 21mm (3/4-in) is about right for the jointed crookstick that I've got (except that it's currently at a friend's house because I used to clear leaves out of the guttering, so I can't measure it right now). Basically a screw-together rod with a cast steel ring about 1.5 inches diameter (with a cutout so you can get the wire in and out) for lifting wire over obstacles when laying or reeling in. There were short and long crooksticks used as well, but they were rather thicker. (There was also something rejoicing in the name of "Pike, Telegraph" which may have been the same item in an earlier era.)

Chris.