Thread: UC steering box
View Single Post
Old 26-12-04, 18:00
carrier mech

Default UC steering box

Yesterday, I took the steering system out of my UC and hauled it into the workshed (it is -25 out now, so I can only work on what will come off the carrier). The box was well siezed thanks to the previous owner leaving the filler plug off the top. Fortunately, I had two other boxes for parts. In fact, both these two boxes, despite having been buried in the Manitoba ground for 30 years, were in better shape than the first one from Ontario.
I must say, the steering wheel was on tight. I used a bearing plate and puller to remove it. I can certainly see why most of the worm shafts I have found over the years have the ends buggered on them. Two screwdrivers and a hammer just wouldn't be the right tool for this job.
I will have no problem making one box (and could almost make a second one) out of the three, but my question is, what manual pertains to the steering box rebuild? UC F1 just barely mentions it, and certainly is of no help in it's rebuild. Was there a more in-depth maual for the workshops to use? Or perhaps a manual by Ross which only covered the repair and rebuild of these?
I'll be off to the bearing shop on Tuesday to buy new seals for the worm shaft and the sector shaft. On checking my Natonal catoloug, I see a few variables for these seals. Anyone here have current numbers of seals that worked for this application?
Also, between the three boxes, I found only 1 nut for the steering wheel, and it is fairly pitted. Does anyone have a spare before I start building up and filing this one?