Thread: Our LRDG Chev
View Single Post
Old 24-10-16, 10:11

Andrew

Nice job.

I have a set of 11.00 - 16 NDT pretty worn but still legal and not too old if you want them free in Brisbane.

Regarding oil pressure. I took a 1945 Chev ute with Motto from Istanbul to Normandy and during the preparation was alarmed by low oil pressure. Changed gauges to eliminate error.

Once the vehicle got hot it would run at around 7psi if you let the revs drop say labouring up a hill it would go back to zero. Did the whole trip and it is still driving back here in Australia trotting along now at 5psi 10 years later with no problems.

I started a serious investigation on the 216 motor.

1. Factory recommended hot oil pressure for a new vehicle 13.5 lbs @ 2621 rpm ! I am sure this weird number is a result of the Owner's Manual Editors asking what oil pressure should the driver look for at 30mph and the engineers could not help themselves and converted it to engine rpm at that speed in the more technical specificatons.

2. GM did not want to put oil pressure gauges in the 216 military Chevrolets because people became alarmed but the Army insisted.

3. I have looked in numerous manuals for vehicles fitted with 216 motors and under oil pressure (if mentioned at all) the best I can find find is "indicating"

4. One source discussed the possibility that gauges reading double what they should were fitted to some vehicles to make people happy - great idea but true or not?

People get confused with 235 and Blue Flame motors that ran at normally expected oil pressures.

So, if your new engine sets off at 25 dead cold and drifts down to 12 or 14 hot you are on the money.

The oft repeated myth that 216 motors ruin the front big end because when going up hill the oil goes to the back and it does not get fed by the "splash" feed is just that - an old wive's tale. Many people believe "splash feed" means the cranks going into the oil in the sump each turn. If they did that the motor would shake itself to bits. The big ends are fed by small sprayer pipes directed on each journal, up, down or sideways all the journals receive the same oil. The mains get the benefit of direct gallery oiling from the huge pump pressure and, as Dave says above, a few drops manage to stagger to the top of the engine to oil the cam and rockers..

Lang

Last edited by Lang; 25-10-16 at 01:30.