View Single Post
Old 01-09-16, 02:13
Lionel G. Evans

Default What Age to Retire?

Hello All,

No this is not another Cultural Studies based form of torture...

Dr. David Goodall, 102 year old scientist, told to leave Edith Cowan University post
Accessed September 1st 2016 from http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-2...ty-job/7769422

If the link does not work let me know and I will do a fully attributed copy and paste.

Basically a 102 year old botanist has been told to take down his shingle and work remotely - off campus due to occupational health and safety concerns.

Around the age of 95 Australian scientist Professor Frank Fenner decided it might be about the right time to slow down a bit. Although he was still a regular presence around the halls of the Australian National University.

To me as a person who is retraining at the age of 53, these two people are inspirational and give me some hope that I might finally have found a niche.

While in Australia the early retirement age was until quite recently marked at 55 years of age. Plus in Australia being over 40 years of age and unemployed is akin to be on the scrap heap career and employment wise.

Are the examples of Professor Goodall and Fenner something to aspire to or does it represent to you an example of people who really need to have a good hobby? Like restoring military vehicles.

Are there any other examples of people you know who are still actively contributing to their profession while they are well beyond punching off the Bundy Clock for the last time once they hit 60-65 years of age?

Kind Regards
Lionel
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2