Thread: Our LRDG Chev
View Single Post
Old 03-08-16, 14:33
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Flares

Quote:
Originally Posted by motto View Post
All components of conventional automotive braking systems to my knowledge are manufactured for use with double flared connections. There is no way that I would attempt to use single flare connections unless in an emergency in a remote area. I highly recommend that you procure double flared lines one way or another.
A few years ago I finally got around to replacing my old double flaring kit with which I probably achieved a 50% success rate with a modern Eastwood kit purchased online. It wasn't cheap but turns out an excellent job almost every time and I'm very glad I invested in it.

David
I have the same tool, the guy in the red jumper is using - I got it at a REPCO store years ago . It is OK most of the time, but sometimes the flare just doesn't work out , it squashes the edges sideways .

Talking about single flares ..the various WW2 Morris Commercials I have , all have original copper brake pipes fitted and they have SINGLE FLARED ends. I was amazed when I saw this but all of them are the same .
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad