View Single Post
Old 05-08-15, 20:03

Default Internet Accuracy - misleading the led ..

I was reading a recently-released (2015) military publication the other day, and came across the abbreviation 'DUKW'. The glossary at the back listed the meaning as "Duplex Universal Karrier Wheeled'. Now every author should admit they don't get it right all the time (I admit that!) but I wondered why the editors could get such a well-known acronym so wrong, so I went looking for it with an internet search. What I found first was this:

"What does DUKW stand for?

DUKW stands for Dual Utility Kargo Waterborne
(also Detroit United Keith Works and 1 more)"

Hmmm, that was no help!!

So I had a look at Wiked-pedia, which actually provided the correct answer, and on the next line solved the mystery of 'Duplex Universal Karrier Wheeled' by stating:

"Decades later, the designation was explained erroneously by writers such as Donald Clarke, who wrote in 1978 that it was an acronym for "Duplex Universal Karrier, Wheeled".[6] [7]"

But I suppose these things, once they are out 'there' in the ether, will persist in one form or another. The fact it was included as the definition in a 2015 military publication is testament to that.

Anyone else got any others like this? (I'm sure someone will quote something from one of my books back at me here!! ... like when I used 'Sqd' for 'Squadron' instead of 'Sqn'!! Oh the eternal shame of using a universal change command in Word and not re-checking!!)

Mike