View Single Post
Old 26-10-04, 22:20
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: That's not fun at all

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
Correct, this is a replica. A little known New Zealand film maker, Peter Jackson, is turning out these replicas and hopes to have something like 20 for an upcoming film to be produced in NZ (No digital effects for him!). There are also about 8 to 10 Sopwith Camels to fly as well. There are just not enough original engines around to power that many replicas and they have had to go with something else.
Wonderful stuff! I fully understand the engine quandary, not only that but flying a gyroscope has its moments. . . . . . . .

There are of course many replicas here, the Kemble Airfield MV show this year had several types fly in, the SE5 replicas seem popular.

What I never did understand technically was the use of something like 7/8ths scale (here), its so close to full size to be, at first sight, an inexplicable choice. I'm guessing perhaps an engine availability/size/power vs drag question, or maybe an obscure CAA ruling.

The Shuttleworth Collection does fly its selection of genuine types but you need to be there by chance on a summer evening when the wind drops and our rare occurence of still air happens, regrettably its never happened for me.

R.