View Single Post
Old 17-02-14, 19:53
Centurion nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bergeron View Post
Anybody know when Camp Bouchard closed for good?
According to "History of CFB Montreal and its Garrisons" (1980) by Jacques Castonguay; "Camp Bouchard (in Blaineville) ceased to exist as a unit in June, 1972." Castonguay doesn't provide any other information on what happened at the Bouchard site after 1972.

I also found the following quote online from "Abandoned Military Installions of Canada Vol II: Quebec" by Paul Ozorak; "...unification also lead to a reduction and consolitation of bases in Canada. As a result, operations at Bouchard were terminated in 1969, and the depot itself closed in 1972. All the military and ammunition production buildings were demolished and today, only the PMQs and some bunkers remain. A motor vehicle test centre for Transport Canada now occupies the eastern section of the former camp. After World War II, the depot was also used as a training area for local Militia units. Most of the property was sold off between 1972 and 1988."

It looks like 1972 is the year that the Camp ceased to function as a military site.

On another subject about the military in Montreal (and while I have your attention) can you advise where in Longueuil would one have found Jacques Cartier Barracks? I'm sure all trace of it has long since disappeared, but would you know the nearest intersection or some other way of locating the site? It was the initial location of the Headquarters for Mobile Command. It's one of the few places used by the post-war Army of which I have no idea.

Cheers,
Dan.