View Single Post
Old 30-09-04, 05:39
GM Fox I

Default Darrell, here's where it gets confusing.

Radio-wise, your 19 set is a Mk.III on a Carrier, No.1 (carrier meaning the metal rails the set is sitting on, not the vehicle). It is the version built in Canada from 1944 onwards. It's primary diffrence from earlier models is that it's supply unit has both a dynamotor and a vibrator. Both it and the earlier Mk.II 19 sets are interchangable and either could be mounted in your vehicle. Canada only ever produced Mk.II and Mk.III 19 sets, America (lend-lease)only Mk.II's and British Mk.I, Mk.II and Mk.III's. Australia built them too, but somone else can identify what marks.

Vehicle wise, what I've mounted in my Mk.1* carrier is the correct installation as per the manual on the right side over the track (where the earlier 11 set was intended to go). This was not done in Mk.II* carriers. They had the set mounted, as Gord says, along the divsion plate looking rearward immediately behind the driver. I can post a picture if Gord doesn't beat me to it. What you'll have to do is get a wireless metal carrier No.2 (which is like yours, only just long enough for the wireless sender/receiver and not the sender/receiver and supply unit beside each other as in your picture) and moiunt the supply unit on it's side on top of the sender/receiver. The holes are already there as the sets were built to allow for several installation configurations.

As to the Fox naming, yes, I gratefully received permission, but nothing in writing which would be nice and 'official'. You sent me regimental names and I have one that seems to fit the charater of the beast (C Squadron 'CHASM'). Are you suggesting in your post above that there may be a chance to find names actually used on RCD Fox in WW2 in the regimental archives? If so, that would be a fantastic!!