View Single Post
Old 29-12-13, 22:43

Default Lynn

It's hard to believe it's the same world sometimes, isn't it!

When I was in my early teens, there used to be a Catalog Sporting Goods company in downtown Winnipeg called S. I. Robinson who's basement level was a giant gun room full of row upon row of long arm racks. I can remember visiting the place on more than one occasion and none of the firearms were locked down, and the staff were extremely friendly. They had every possible military rifle from around the world. Simply awesome! I recall $9.99 No. 4 Enfields, $19.99 Enfield Jungle Carbines, $29.99 M1 Carbines and $49.99 Garands to name but a few.

In the 1970's, when I was in University, I joined the UofM Pistol Club and bought a .22 LR High Standard to start out with. When I got comfortable with that, a company on Northwest Ontario advertised they had a limited supply of Canadian issue Colt 1911 .45 Cal Pistols for sale and I bought one. At the time, the RCMP were in charge of restricted firearm registration. No exams, no tests. You just went down and filled out the applications and when you got your pistol they issued you a transport permit to bring it in for registration. The RCMP office in charge was on Broadway at the time and when I took the .45 in for registration, the Constable who was processing my paperwork was so excited about seeing the .45, he called in all his buddies from the office to have a look at it and a couple of them even brought out some of their own favourites to show me. It was a great experience, that I cannot imagine happening today. I kept both pistols for about 30 years. Had about 4,000 rounds throughout the High Standard but do not think more than 200 ever went through the Colt.

David