View Single Post
Old 05-12-13, 03:41

Default Good news.......

EUREKA........Got the CPP 2 working.

So simple yet......

I hunted down a separate used double pole single throw switch from a surplus NRC panel. Tested fine..... ready to be used as a substitute.

Removed the original switch from the CPP 2 and tested again.....seemed to work on one pole....... so being fearless and being that this is pre solid state.... the switch is actually assembled with two screws sealed with some black dry brittle paint. Decided to take the switch apart to see what was defective or broken.... chipped the paint and carefully took it apart laying out the small pieces.... contacts were a bit black and oily...... washed everything in an electrical contact solvent.... bent the contact arm for a bit more pressure and re-assembled...... now works perfectly.

Output dial works and puts out 13.4 to 19 volts in the low range and 26 to
39 volts in the upper range.

Now I have two reliable power sources.

Both CPP have minor differences which I now understand to be new large plastic covered capacitors instead of the fade yellow cardboard ones and evidence of modern spade type connectors otherwise identical.

One has a front door on the left hand side to access the 12 to 24 volts knife switch ...the older one requires that you remove the full cover to make the voltage changes.

Thanks Mike for the link to Chris who lives across town from me...... I will always be amazed by information coming from across the globe for something in my own back yard. I have saved the site and will no doubt be doing a lot of reading.

With the help of Stuart Fedak we will be organizing a little radio shack meeting in my sunroom for the Ottawa boys and hope to convince Chris to attend.

Now I have "juice" to play with ....... let's see how far I can progress before blowing a fuse!!!!!

Thanks everyone.

Bob C
Canada