View Single Post
Old 23-08-13, 23:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. View Post
Asbjørn: the carrier is a NO-2 MKII* as manufactured at Ford Canada, in Windsor, Ontario for a British contract, SM 1447. As such, the "T" War Department number on the exterior is likely correct.
It appears you have a standard generator, generator cut-out, and "diver's helmet" style distributor, correct for the C81 engine installed in the series C31UCW carrier. Hopefully the after market coil is 6V?

Very nice original engine tag! A swell looking MKII* C31UCW.

BTW: Serial number 29778 ... amazing! This partially clarifies/supports how the production numbers may have related to either the serial number or hull number.
As the serial number is over the Milestone final production number of 28988, perhaps the CB upper hull number(s) like 28739 is the factory guideline?
If you can please tell me the lower hull number off the angle iron supporting the rear vertical armour, bottom left hand side, that would be excellent.

About the original Ford style coil:
You can go back to an original coil, rebuilt with modern components and a three year guarantee for about $75.00 USD plus shipping. You would send the original coil to Skip Haney, in Punta Gorda, Florida, USA. If you do not have one, and want one, I will give you one as a donation to the museum.

http://www.fordcollector.com/coils.htm
Thanks, the T-number is correct, I have attached a picture of the number stamped on the front armour.
The coil is probably 12v, the carrier is 12v negative ground. Not sure about the generator and starter. The instruments seem to work, except the temperature gauge. A 6v starter should work with 12v, but the generator must have been replaced with a 12v unit or modified. I will need to have a closer look at them.

I have also attached a picture of the lower hull number.

Thank you for the tip about coil refurbishment. We really appreciate the the generous donation of your coil, we will of course pay for the shipping.

Asbjørn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris vickery View Post
The diver's helmet style distributor is typical for the UC.
One of the main reasons of ignition failure on the flathead engine is due to overheating of the coil, which UCs were particularly prone to. The distributor being placed so low on the engine and tucked down in behind the rad lent plenty of opportunity for coil failure.
Old coils are especially bad, throw the original away and buy a reproduction.
Many guys opt for a remote coil with an adaptor plate which fits the diver's helmet style distributor.
Optionally, you can use the crab style distributor which already comes equipped with a remote mount coil. You must change the timing cover plate to accept the crab type as the mounting is different from the diver's type.
The diver helmet was used on the 37-41 flathead motor, the crab went 42-48 and the common modern type was used on the 49-53 model.
The upgrade to the crab was a result of the diver helmet type being problematic, hence Ford's solution with the crab style.
The UC restored to spec uses only the diver helmet type as far as I know. I do not think that they were ever updated to use the crab type unless someone else knows better...
Thanks for the info, as this is a museum piece, we want it to appear as original as possible. We will go for a refurbished coil in it's original location on the distributor.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4779.jpg   IMG_4828.jpg