View Single Post
Old 26-06-13, 04:54

Things can get a little confusing for a civvy like myself.
The first time I went to Normandy I was mightily impressed with the number of people, re-enactors, vehicle crew etc that were wearing uniforms. This was not done in Australia.
Our ferry load of HMVs from Portsmouth pulled up on the side of the road just out of Cherbourg and I took one of those trick dog leads for a walk that has a wire down it and looks like you're walking an invisible dog.
I worked my way along the vehicles, on occasions making it look like the dog was peeing on wheels to get a reaction from onlookers.
At the head of the convoy was a group of fellows dressed as MPs. One was a plump jolly fellow who played along pretending to make the dog beg. Standing nearby was a haughty looking type dressed as an officer with beautifully polished, calf length boots. I walked over and without even thinking about it made it look as though the dog was peeing on his boot. I will never forget the withering look he gave me. I thought 'that blokes got no sense of humour at all!' and went on my way.
It was some time later that I realised the group at the head of the convoy were not re-enactors but French regular army.
Oh well, I'd done my bit for Anglo French relations. They had no way of knowing I was an Aussie.

David