Thread: Heads Up: Limber in UK...
View Single Post
Old 15-02-13, 22:11
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Names

I've heard Jeeps called Blitz Buggies or Panzer Prams, and although I know this has already been covered more than once, there's a myriad of nicknames for
CMPs including Blitz Buggy, Blitz Wagon, Desert Blitz, Monkey Face, Puddle Jumper (mostly for the C8AX in New Zealand) and the Dutch have an endearing name meaning something like squashed nose.
Local Pattern Machine Gun Carriers here are called Bren Carriers, just Carriers or even Brennies by some.
Dodge Weapons Carriers and Command Cars are called Beeps for Beefed up Jeep.
Some here even corrupt Marmon-Herrington into Marmite Herringbone!
So whilst the Ammunition Trailer is just that I don't think I have ever heard it referred to as anything other than a Limber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Farrant View Post
Not wanting to get off subject too far, a lot of MV's are called by names far from the official designation, for starters, down in the Southern Hemisphere a Ford or Chevrolet Canadian Military Pattern truck, although bodied locally is known by everyone as a Blitz, the only truck I know of that had that name officially was one made by Opel from late Thirties on. The Champ was the civilian version of a military vehicle built by Austin, the name was not seen on official military literature. Daimler Dingo, it actually got the name from another of the competitors for the contract, Alvis Dingo. Quite when it happened or by who we do not know but it has stuck solid with that vehicle and no one questions it.
Going back to the "limber" or Artillery Trailer, was so commonly used in the British army and the towing vehicle was generally termed a "Quad" by all who used it, whether it was a Morris, Ford or Chevrolet. I think the name may have sprung from an early gun tractor, the Guy Quad-Ant, as well as it being 4x4 of course.
Then there is the jeep, officially, for the best part of the war, it was a nickname.
Lastly, what about the Blitz Buggy ?

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern