View Single Post
Old 12-01-13, 22:42

Default Here we go again!

Hi Tony

The reason I emphasised the statement FOR PURELY BALLISTIC REASONS was because of the tipped bullets you mention. They are intended for sporting use and the tip is part of the controlled expansion desired on impact. (Animals not being signatories to the Hague or Geneva conventions, this is allowable) As such the tip is NOT there for purely ballistic reasons. These tips are also exposed which is where the ballistic part comes in, they complete the bullets shaping in contrast to that of an exposed hollow point.

I clearly recall the controversy over the 5.56 ammunition .Stability in flight is controllable by twist rate which means that a bullet can be spun too fast with consequences at the end of flight which some believe to be the case with the 5.56 and its relatively short bullet. The development of the SS109 projectile was an attempt to answer deficiencies in performance of the standard bullet.

Basically, as I understand it, the heavy .303 projectile was too good at penetration, the lighter 5.56 not good enough. Different problems, different solutions. You may be able to help me out here Mike. I believe you are familiar with the SS109 story. I also understand that the 5.56 is not performing well against the opposition in Afghanistan despite the improved projectile.

David

Last edited by motto; 13-01-13 at 09:08.