View Single Post
Old 29-03-03, 17:10
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Angry Gawdalmighty, what a disgrace...

If the current war in Iraq is 'the shape of things to come' for western armies (and I'm afraid it may be, for at least another generation), this disgraceful action couldn't come at a worse time.

Worse still, it seems to be happening quietly... and eerily, given the current controversy over the state of our armed forces and the issue of supporting our friends in time of need, it seems to presage the total, peaceful, self-destruction of the Canadian Army as an entity.

These ... despicable ... people have gone too far this time. This needs to be made public in the widest possible sense.

Methinks I'm going to drop Peter Worthington a line, just to start. It surely can't hurt.

I can't help but think of some of the Armoured Corps vets of WW2... it was only a year ago that I was down here visiting a local Kangaroo-friend, and we stumbled onto a reunion of 1st Hussars at Wolseley Barracks. Fine old gentlemen who drank my wallet empty and were STILL, at their age, dyed-in-the-wool tankers! THIS is the tradition we appear to be chucking out the bloody window with nary a thought. For those of them, and those like them, who might be aware of this, I can't imagine what it must feel like.

Disgraceful.

Thanks for the heads-up, George.