View Single Post
Old 22-08-12, 10:03
VMVC

Default Next sheetmetal project- Tool boxes

Have found a great metal fabricator in Cranbourne who is also a car restorer so he knows all about getting things right. Was going to try to bend up my holder myself but he has all the good stuff, pan brakes, folder etc. so he is just waiting for me to mark out the pattern on some sheet steel before he folds it for me. He is reasonable too, so I figure why risk a home made job.

As the battery holder is well under way, my next sheetmetal project is the small toolboxes that fit behind the rear wheels under the GS Body of my F-15A.
What I seek is info on the lids. I have two very banged up boxes and despite the attached photo which makes them look OK, I think making new ones would be a better option than "panel beating" the old ones.
Both are missing the lids so I have no idea what they should look like. I can see a remnant of a piano hinge spot welded to the box on both so that is a start.
I am sure it is a pretty basic design but if anyone out there can supply dimensions, sketches, or a photo of an original lid it would be gratefully appreciated.
Have drawn up these boxes also so if anyone is interested I will post them once I get the lid drawing correct. They are a very basic design.
FYI: the box shown has been stripped of all rust with the good old molasses and water trick. I see some posts on rust removal using some exotic chemicals but this old method works just as well if you have a bit of time.

Brgds,
Attached Thumbnails
small box.jpg  

Jacques Reed