View Single Post
Old 02-07-12, 13:08

Default Restoration of Hull 731- Carrier, MG (Aust) Mortar Carrying

I have been inspired by others on MLU to document my restoration of my Bren Gun Carrier. It will be a slow restoration as I only get to work on it on the weekends, and then make updates here during the week. Not sure I will be able to match the wit and progress of others, but I just wanted to show others my restoration as I find it interesting what others are doing.

I would appreciate constructive assistance/comment with this, but no red herrings. Happy to respond to PMs to detail/provide more info/pics.

I bought this vehicle from central Australia in late 2000 and it has been in storage since then. At the time it was still painted in a 2 tone camouflage pattern. Over the years I have collected up some of the parts, but we will see as the work progresses as to what I have missed. Most of the parts have been stored at my parents place as I move around frequently.

The vehicle was built/delivered in early Dec 1941 from the Newport Railway Workshops, Victoria and is a LP2, hull number 731.
The AWM record 126, vol 6, indicates that it had engine number 2G19111 and it is ARN 16569.
It is believed that this vehicle was sent to Darwin early on in the war and was used in the defence of Darwin. During this time it was converted to a field modified 3" Mortar Carrier.
The main differences between this vehicle and a standard LP2 is the removal of the internal stowage boxes on the RH side with some small boxes moved to the LH side, brackets welded into the RHR hull for the base plate to be stowed, numerous loops (footman loops) welded to both sides on the inside hull, brackets to the outside of the rear hull sides to mount ammunition covers (similar to the radio covers), handrails in the rear of the hull, brackets on top of the engine cover to mount the bi-pod near the air scoop and brackets in the rear top opening of the cover for the base plate. It was possible for the mortar to be set up on top of the engine cover and fire on the move (although I would not like to try it and I doubt the accuracy). These modifications reduced the amount of Vickers MG ammunition and removed all Lewis MG items.
Some other features of this hull are that it has a rectangular ID plate fitted on the RHF guard between the horn and RH headlight, the air scoop is welded into the hull, most of the exterior mounting blocks for tools etc are round, the rear lift lugs are riveted on as well as the rear hull plate to sides, there are also mufflers fitted with a lower by-pass pipe/outlet.

When it left the factory it was painted in khaki #3, it was spray painted in a sand colour or possible light brown, then it was modified to a Mortar Carrier and brush painted with khaki green to give the final 2 tone camo pattern. This is evident from the levels of rust that have removed the paint, the pattern of the stowage boxes in the paint and the paint brush marks.

The vehicle still has faint markings on the side of the hull (drivers side outer dash area) showing a ?31 in white (possibly the hull number 731), then this has partially been painted over with a black rectangle with "M?? ^ " (the ^is an arrow pointed up). At this stage I do not know what colour the number/markings are, or the arrow. Some other Mortar Carriers (and I know of 4 others) have a ''M'' and number. I think this must indicate what vehicle/position it held.

Reading through a huge amount of unit diaries held by the AWM, I found that the 10/48 Australian Infantry Batt (AIF), while stationed in Darwin during 1942/43 had on charge 7 Mortar Carriers and 21 MG Carriers. Depending on the unit diary writer and what they thought was important then dictates what went into the unit diaries. Some are light on and some have a lot of info regarding unit activities/exercises, PT results, who was sick and AWOL etc.
So there is a fair chance that at some point in time my BGC was used by this unit, so that will be the focus of any markings etc when it is finally restored.
Attached Thumbnails
CCI23062012_00001.jpg   CCI23062012_00002.jpg   CCI23062012_00004.jpg   CCI23062012_00003.jpg  

Last edited by Darrin Wright; 11-11-14 at 03:50.