View Single Post
Old 27-04-12, 02:34
Tony VAN RHODA

Default More information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
I agree with Keith and Ian: poor quality reproductions.

However, the genuine Australian nomenclature plate was retrofitted to many (most?) Australian MVs in service, as well as to newly acquired ones as they were assembled by the contractors. So a genuine or good quaility repro of the plate is a worthy addition to your Australian jeep dashpanel. I have seen them filled out as both a hand stamped, rough as bags job, or as deeply etched, perfect lettering (I have examples of both finishes). Does your jeep dash panel have four small holes that you can't account for, somewhere about the middle? The distances are about 3 inches apart horizontally, and 2 inches vertically (I'm guessing on the measurements until I can find the plates!)

There is also the aspect that a sizeable proportion of the jeeps that arrived in Australia, particularly those in the last 18 months of the war, were US rebuilds, and not new production vehicles. Hence, you may have a 1942 jeep, but that does not indicate necessarily when it arrived in Oz. It may have had a history somewhere else prior to being used to fulfil an Australian supply contract.

Regards

Mike C

Hi Mike

Iam learning more about Jeeps everyday..I cannot find any small holes in the middle of the dash to indicate that there was ever any small plates attached there. The sizes of the two brass plates are as follows:

NOMENCLATURE: 8 cm X 5.5 cm
VEHICLE TRUCK 1/4 TON 4X4: 8cm X 4.5cm

Maybe I won't put them on the Jeep.

I also have another Plate. 14cm X 4 cm fixed in the middle of the dash which was on the Jeep when I purchased it. This indicates the vehicle was reconditioned on 2/8/45 by a USA company, Stewart and Stevenson. I have no idea how or when the Jeep turned up in Australia.

Cheers

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02393.jpg   DSC02394.jpg