View Single Post
Old 03-04-12, 02:49
carrier mech

For my purposes, there is a guy who has set up a business 3 miles on the other side of the border just to receive parcels and pallets for us Canadians. He charges $5 for the first parcel, $3 for each additional parcel, $10 if the parcel is over 50 pounds, or $20 if he has to use his forklift for it, with a max of 2000 pounds. When you compare with shipping the stuff up to Canada by any other means, there is often a savings of $100 on each parcel. It is great for ebay and Amazon purchases, as well as auto parts from some of the on-line distributors down there.

The guy I use was using his garage two years ago. Now he has put up a heated building, and even it is jammed to the corners. Many of the commercial importers around here of products like auto speed accessories are using his place as a regular drop-off. And since he is a business, I can get the commercial rates for the shipping in the US as well, vice the residential rates.

These places are sprouting up at almost any border crossing as a result of online purchasing. Google for something at whatever crossing you use, and something will come up.

Apparently some of the UPS stores will receive pallets of tires as well. Check with the Ottawa guys on that one: didn't they use UPS for those new chevron 10.50X16s a couple years ago?