View Single Post
Old 19-03-12, 02:11

Default Wonderful day for a cruise in the Bombardier Iltis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
Come on over in the afternoon...... after 1 pm is best.....Bob
Bob, Thanks for the invite. As you know, it was a wonderful day in the Ottawa Valley region. Louise and I took the Bombardier Iltis for a 3.5 hour cruise along the Rideau River system. First out to Kemptville, to pick up some fish & chips. Then off to Lock 17 along the Rideau system for lunch at a picnic table. Then a slow cruise along the Rideau to Merrickville. We drove past Gilles' new digs (waved on the way going by... I saw his dog Buddy/Zac), then off to Smiths Falls. Up Highway 15 to FrankTown, then back to Ottawa via Richmond. The Iltis is running well on the highway. We had both doors off, and had the window rear rolled up.

I have temporarily put in some VW seats, while I work on the original seats in the Iltis. Those VW Jetta seats are sure more comfortable than the 27 year old foam in the original seats. I think I will use them more often for long drives..........

I am making my list for restoration on the Iltis this summer. A few systems to inspect. Over the past few years I have done a lot of work (except body work) on the Iltis. Mostly mechanical issues. The Iltis runs well, and seems to do best in the 80 - 90 km/hr range. It still has some power left, but I prefer to drive on secondary roads. I have done a few trips at 100 km/hr while pulling the M101 CDN2 trailer, but it did not seem comfortable. So I will stick to secondary roads.....

I will make it to the barn to see your progress. In the summer I also need to cut some steel sheets for welding purposes, and would like to use your shear and brake. I just have a 12 inch hand shear and a small hand brake......

Perhaps we have an early start to the garage work this year. But it also means an early start to the yard/garden work as well.........

Cheers!
Stuart