Thread: rain coming
View Single Post
Old 05-03-12, 22:54
Tony Baker

Default Local man dies in floodwater

I'm finally back on internet again, after draining water from my satellite transciever case.
Click image for larger version

Name:	25-1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	47608 Click image for larger version

Name:	25-2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	47607 Click image for larger version

Name:	25-3.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	47606
Since Sunday night, there has been more than 340mm of rainfall. Can't give a more accurate figure becuase the rain gauge overfolwed on two occasions before I could empty it.

Name:	car.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	47610
Severe flashflooding has occured here, and one man has died crossing flooded road. This was two roads across from me at Glenwood. Some news reports have stated this was at Gympie, but it is actually Glenwood, 1/2hr north on the Bruce Hwy.

Name:	25-4.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	47609
You just can't tell some people! This guy walked part way into a fast running creek crossing to see if he could drive through. What he didn't know at the time (nor did I), was that the road surface was washed away in places and buckled / lifted up in others. This was only evident once waters went down. The silly bugger could have tripped, fallen, and been swept away.

It's a beautiful day here now, but news reports are talking about small possibility that the low pressure system that caused the rainfall, may develop into a Cyclone.

Gympie expected to receive minor flooding today to several of the especially low areas. This includes the folks I wrote about earlier, who were loading their businesses onto removal trucks, containers and trailers. This will be their second pack-up in less than a fortnight.

The workshop had some leakage through the roof where the very high winds drove the water under ridge capping. Totally expected under the circumstances.