View Single Post
Old 20-12-11, 03:53
James Dalueg

Default Ontario Mounting Rules

Considering where your located I would heed the advise provided by Rob. During an appropriate Function, ceremony or parade etc., or even a Car Show as a static display you would be hard pressed to arouse any kind of 'Interest' of an official nature.

There are however numerous locals pushing the envelope with respect to what is and what isnt a legal obligation/responsibility. Be it Free Men of the Land who dont believe in Drivers Licences, Vehicle plates Blah blah blah who incidently are quite active in SW Ontario.

Perception is everything, and there are enough fruitcakes who would be more than happy to describe to an officer how the 'Army type vehicle with the machinegun {INSERT REASON} cut me off, was driving in a threatening and aggressive manner towards me, was..... laughing and drinking coffee while making eye contact etc.

Basically that is enough to become an item of interest and begin the BS process of having to explain yourself and what your all about. If your articulate enough in your explanation you'll likely be fine.

However, if your not an accomplished and confident speaker you run the risk of having the non-gun seized in the interest of 'Public Safety' and having to explain why you felt the need to attend the Sobey's parking lot with a life like machinegun mounted and in full view to the shoppers present. (Example mine)

After a couple hours in Court and around 5,000. in legal fees you may get the item back but you would certainly be criticized for poor judgement by the 'System' and probably Bad Taste by your peers.

Having said that; Are the gun laws and current firearms regulations ineffective, intrusive and basically stupid? Absolutely. But bringing that kind of attention to yourself as an individual could be a disasterous experience.

If you were to 'Convoy' up for a road trip with a couple to half dozen or more vehicles and enthusiasts and stay to more rural areas I would think you would be fine. If you were stopped it would likely be by someone like myself who is genuinely curious and interested in your equipment and its history.

Sorry for the long winded response, but I have dealt with many people who have acted without thinking it through so to speak. No malicious intent, nor devious behaviour they simply never anticipated the reactions of others.

You will likely get a few who will tell you 'Screw them, they can't do that because........' and in the end, after a couple of expensive years it may very well be. But you are the one who will have to endure the stress and financial hardship to prove 'Them' right.

Oh and PS: Just because it may no longer be technically considered a Firearm does not mean that it cannot be preceived as a Weapon. Something else to keep in the back of your mind. (Its like falling into a legal Black Hole) If your going to drive through the City I would suggest-

Stay away from, Military Bases, facilities, and Property, all Federal and Provincial Government facilities, School and Educational buildings of all types and/or configurations, Hospitals, City Hall, Police Buildings, Tim Hortons Drive Thru Lanes, Power Generating facilities.................... Now I'm just being a smart a$$ but you get the picture
1956 M135 CDN w/w
1956 M135 CDN parts truck