View Single Post
Old 15-07-04, 15:44
Overvalwagen-o-logist

Default some notes on the Dutch 37mm gun

1. After consulting my notes from my last visits to the Dutch National Archives I found out that the total number of anti-tank guns delivered to the Dutch was 24 by the end of 1942 (including Dutch East Indies untill March 42 and the West Indies thereafter)
The ten diverted guns after March 1942 (on 3 different ships) were probably shipped to the West Indies and/or the Dutch in Australia.

My thoughts on the Australian museum piece: I would doubt this was a gun in Dutch service: the KNIL left Australia from 1944-45 and they would surely have taken the guns along to fight the Japanese then and anybody else after 45.

Question: So were these guns also delivered to the Aussie Army? Anybody has a clue?

2. The total number of around 200 guns ordered must be correct. A listing of KNIL orders by August 41 (US Mission report) states that 200 guns were ordered (of a total need of 250), while delivery was now expected from Jan 42-Jun42. So production had been delayed as with many other items KNIL ordered.

My thoughts on production figures: I am not sure if after the fall of Java (beginning of March42) National Forge would have kept on producing. The order may have been cancelled by the Dutch. So I am not sure if we can state all 200 guns were actually produced.

3. The use of these guns in/on vehicles.
I am definitely sure now that these guns were NOT the same guns as used for the Marmon-Herrington tanks. For these the Dutch had ordered hundreds of specially designed automatic 37mm guns at American Armament Co that apparently did not use standard 37mm munition (in a clip of five).
Two reliable sources name these guns as the ones used by the MH tanks. Hans Heesakkers in his MH tank articles for a Dutch magazine (with accounts of the use of these tankguns in the post-war Dutch forces in Surinam) and mr Leland Ness in his very recent Janes' WW2 fighting vehicles book.

My thoughts:
The Dutch intended some of these guns to be installed on some unknown vehicle, purchased at National Forge as stated above.
Moreover, the 3 US sourced 37mm anti-tank guns of the KNIL Java tankbattalion (mobiele eenheid) were reportedly "truck-borne".

Question: who knows more on the vehicles that were purchased at National Forge?

4. Guns in action.
I have never seen a picture of these guns before but I will be on the lookout now. I am not sure these guns were in action on Java in 1942. The Tank Batt.'s guns reportedly did NOT see action in the confused running battles at Ciater Pass. But there were unspecified anti-tank guns in action at a skirmish at Serajoe river (Dutch 1942 spelling). Who knows?

As Stellan has mentioned the Japanese captured 8 gun/limber combinations in 1942. These guns were surely kept in a depot and must have been still around by 1945 when they either fell in the hands of the returning Dutch or the (now fighting for independence from the Dutch) Indonesian republicans.
So they might have seen battle in 1945-49 and there could be pics of this period.

So, Chris, I will be looking for more info on these guns AND vehicles as well. Lets keep in touch.

Greetings
Nuyt