Thread: Sea Kings
View Single Post
Old 23-03-03, 17:41
In Vino Veritas

"They've certainly killed more of my friends than any war has..."

The fact is, there are newer, better machines out there, and considering the critical necessity for helos on the modern battlefield, spending a fortune in time and money keeping the older ones flying instead of 'upgrading', is criminal

you're right to a point Geoff. The Osprey is trying to kill as many marines as it can. Also when the craft is rebuilt from frame up , it is a new aircraft stripped of every wire bolt etc. Heck we've got a beautiful Piper clipper from the '40's flying around here that had te same process and I would fly in it before some of these tired 185's .
Its really tough to say whether its the hours or demands or age of the aircraft that is causing them to crash. are there fewer aircraft and crew and so greater demand and sorties are placed on the remainders and there for more accidents. What is the per hour crash rate? Also are they trying to do missions that the helicopter wasn't intended for. Ie landing on a carrier deck is a lot further from injesting seawater in the engines than on a frigate, etc. .
I agree we should buy newer , more powerful with greater lfit/power ratios . I am just saying that the Seaking is a good aircraft and is not inherently unsafe, there is just more to the equation that we may not ( probably not know , knowing governments ) .
Sean