View Single Post
Old 05-07-11, 08:07

So things keep getting interestinger and interestinger.

Stopped round for a gossip with with of the old Fire Brigade life members, into his 90's and as sharp as a tack he is.

Mr X as we shall refer to him is what is reffered to as "a bit of a character" round here.

Served WWII in the Pacific in NZ Arny saw a few things, including being probably one of the few people who has, in his words "been bloody stupid enough to fall of the edge of a US carrier in the middle of the pacific, swim round for an hour or so and get plucked out by a US destroyer".

He has been working on vehicles, trucks, electronics you name it since he was a young fella, so has probably forgotten a damn site more than most can remember.

Took Mr X for a wee drive to see the truck pictured above. He laughed his head off, yes, new he new about it. I can now say it definetly served NZ Ary North Africa, up through Italy and was returned to NZ post war, sold ex - Waiouru Military Camp 68 and purchased from Gillies in Otago after that.

New it on the farm he did when it was working.

As to the mickey mouse ears and obvious brush marks. All of the die hard Spray Painters can stop now and get your 4 inch brushes out.

The obvious circle patterns of brush marks led me ask Mr X how it was done.

"Crickey Mate" says Mr X "Bloody obvious isn't it? They cut a circle out of plywood and ran the damn paint brush round the inside, then filled the circle, we did it the same way in the islands."

I say "so overlaping circles through a wood template and then brush the gaps?"

"Yup, and shake your bones while your at it, because you have about 10 trucks to do in a couple of hours so don't p!ss about" he says with a laugh.

Some people may call this heresy, but I will do whatever truck is restored by the same method.

"Um silly question" I asked not wanting to appear as a fool "The size of the circles wouldn't happen to match a Kiwis helmet would it?"

"Where the F else where we going to find a circle" answered Mr X as we walked back to my 4x4 so I could take him to the pub for a round.

Where a lot more was discussed and a new level reached in the way we work together.

Funny what happens when you throw a couple of Fireys together for a while, they either break things, or fix them.