View Single Post
Old 22-03-11, 17:46
aut viam inveniam aut fac

Hmm,
Rob your comments re the Leopards (and the tank force) are very well founded.

Meanwhile as for Iltis, given what one can see on youtube, some of them look like they`re being treated very roughly..and I dont know about them being restored later.or even as much of a parts source... since the many iltis specific parts may be in short supply or simply non-existant in the perhaps not so distant future, especially if offroaders use up NOS and used parts to replace stuff they break

As for the Iltis being a POS, I suppose one could say that about a lot of things, depending upon your particular point of view. Alhtough I like the look of the MUTT, and would love to have one, it was a bit dangerous initially. I personally saw one flip with two injuries at fairly low speed on the base at Lahr. I have also heard some ex CF say the Iltis was great cross country. In service how would the MUTT-or m-series for example compare to it x-c ?

An interesting thing, when the m38a1 was being released- I dont seem to recall a lot of them attracting the offroad crowd (? -am I remembering correctly, and perhaps even less so MUTTs. so I wonder why the Iltis is so attractive to offroaders, esp given the bad rep it got in the general media

I of course have no military experience with the iltis so cant comment on it in that regard. One thing I like for sure is the Iltis ability to keep up with today`s highway traffic, which was always a bit of a drawback with the older stuff.

BTW-as an interesting point... ex CDS Rick Hillier owns a restored Iltis