View Single Post
Old 19-08-10, 19:02

Default Comments

Scotty, for sure my opinions are those of my own and do not reflect those of the CF.

I certainly agree that there are individuals who do a far worse job than Tom in their depictions of past and present CF uniforms (many of them Canadian) and I don't doubt his intentions are genuine, I am though concerned that his knowledge of the CF may be limited and portrayal of the military may not be accurate. I do though like the work he has done on his Iltis and I am pleased to see that he has restored one to running condition, but as I said earlier, I have doubts on his dress-up presentation.

I wrote earlier that it is the cavalier attitude towards wearing a Canadian uniform that I find distasteful. Going out and purchasing any Canadian 'crest' so that a neighbors son can ride on the Iltis seems to be a pretty big leap from showing honour to 'Northern Brothers' for fighting in the GWOT (his terminology not mine) to more like dressing up in a uniform that is cool and different from what is available locally and standing out in the crowd. Admittedly I have not seen Tom in person so I have no idea what he tells people about Canada's participation in the GWOT or any other conflict for that matter, or how the Cadet organization works, but if his reply to my criticisms is any indication of his ability to debate or defend himself then I have wonder how he handles himself in similar situations when dealing with the public.

Apparently none of us are PAFFOs, although I don't know that for sure, and we can all sit back and tacitly cast the blind eye of indifference to how enthusiasts dress up and portray the military; but at least speaking up and voicing an opinion may bring about a change.