Thread: Smokin'
View Single Post
Old 03-06-04, 02:10
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Petroleum Products

Quote:
Originally posted by dougiebarder
With a bit of luck-Today Toronto, tommorrow the world!
It'll leave the air fresh for the smell of oil and cosmoline.
Hmmmmm.... carcinogenic as well, with the combustion of the former being far more polluting than cigarette smoke. SoCal is still swathed in a vast fog of automotive pollutants despite their holier-than-thou smoking ban.

The bar I have been attending when working in Toronto has been in business for 20 years. Its owner has serious doubts his enterprise will survive the winter with the onset of this.

Sorry, but I believe in the concept of Free Choice; when you take that away from one aspect of society, ALL aspects of society become equally vulnerable. This is really just an extension of the same mindset which brought about gun control and its attendant loss of personal freedoms. As the esteemed FV623 suggested, where indeed do you stop?

No, I'm afraid I can't share your enthusiasm for depriving others of their liberties based solely upon YOUR opinion of how they should live their lives. To me, this is not an issue of whether smoking is right or wrong - you as a non-smoker have the choice of whether or not to join me for a beer in a smoking bar, and in any case, last I heard tobacco is still a legal product. This is a fundamental issue of the right of people to dictate to others on any matter "they" find objectionable. Be very careful here... these things can come back to bite you on the arse.

I'd still feel the same even if I quit smoking tomorrow.

CHEERS.