View Single Post
Old 26-05-10, 20:03
Mr. HUP

Default Hot Steel

The CMP sweep east of the Rockies continued this past weekend. This time the team picked up Grant's "new" Ford chassis and 3/4 ton trailer. The day proved to be the hottest to date, and the old Ford made us work to extract it from its hull down position. First we had to winch a load of metal out of the way before we winched the frame into the open.

Just to make things a little more interesting, the Ford was missing a wheel and hub on the pax side, and both rear wheels were rust welded to the brake shoes. So, the Ford went on the trailer in a rather cockeyed manner. We made a skid plate for the missing wheel and lubed up the ramps so that the tires slid a little better.

Winching the Ford onto the trailer took a long time as we had to adjust the rear of the Ford with a farmers jack to straighten it out. We set a new record for the longest load out for one frame - and I thought HUPs were obstinate...

Following the frame tie down, the trailer was winched aboard in quick time. It too was tied down and the crew retired to the airconditioned splendor of Bob's truck. More than a little sweat was spilt wrestling with the Ford, so we took a break at a local chip stand. Nothing like piping hot chips on a hot day.

Bob and Grant can comment on the off-load, as I had to duck out as my leave pass had already expired.
Attached Thumbnails
grthaul may 10 001.jpg   grthaul may 10 005.jpg   grthaul may 10 013.jpg   grthaul may 10 017.jpg   grthaul may 10 019.jpg