View Single Post
Old 19-05-04, 05:31
Vets Dottir

Default Royal Winnipeg Rifles Museum

Well ... I'm astounded and a little overwhelmed at the moment.

I had my first real visit to the Royal Winnipeg Rifles Museum this evening, and met Don Zorniak, and others. One man will be at the 60th Anniversay Ceremonies too.

Don gave me a tour of the Museum room, which was amazing, but far too much for me to take in in one visit, in an hour. I'll be going back again and again to "really have a look and read the displays, and do a lot more "touchy feely" than I did this evening, uniforms, weapons, artifacts ...
when we got to the WW2 displays I was just suddenly overcome with emotion and couldn't talk. That stayed with me quite awhile. I have to go back because everything after that was a blur.

We went back to the Library and Archives room ... and chatted about all sorts of things, and shared a birthday cake for Don.

They were very welcoming and wonderful to me. I was presented with 2 badges (?) the ones that say ROYAL WINNIPEG RIFLES CANADA and are sewn on the shoulders of the uniforms. (there is a post in this thread somewhere, by Mark, showing these badges)I also received a "modern" cap badge.

I'm welcomed and invited back, and will be taking my Uncles service records with me and Don and others will go over them with me.

What an evening. I've been communicating with Don Zorniak by email and phone for over a year and this evening was our first meeting. Its SO good to meet the people who have helped me ... so much ... I hope I get the honour of meeting you all soon too.

The men I metwere quite wonderful and am looking forward to more convrsations and learning from them.

Wow.

Carman