View Single Post
Old 16-03-10, 18:43

Default Butt welding practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
Hi Stu

Mig is always there for the bigger jobs. I am still working with the large .035 wire/gas but will switch to the lighter .025 wire/gas for the thin gauge sheet metal..... and practice....

The welder needs to have the polarity changed inside before I can use the small wire..... can't figure out why but it as to be done. I might even practice doing gas butt welds..... difficult but very precise if you do not constantly burn holes in the metal.....Like Stu says....practice... especially perfect practice does give perfect results.
....but we are having fun.....

Boob
I have some welding to do on the Iltis body, and I want to cut up some of the Iltis repair panels I have, for practice panels (so I am using the same guage mild steel to practice on). I have a nice DVD that I picked up from Miller welding that shows the correct technique for patch butt welding. It is a slow process, as you have to let the metal cool to prevent warping and burn out, but the results are amazing. I also picked up some small devices for holding the patch panels in place. I might also try out the flattened copper pipe behind the panel technique. Anyways, I want to do this on some practice pieces before doing the Iltis body.

I will see if I can make a copy of the DVD for educational purposes for the Hammond Barn library......

Cheers!
Stuart