View Single Post
Old 24-02-10, 03:36
Keyan Noble, Halifax, NS

Default Re: Bren (Utility) Pouches

Hi All,

Try Googling: "Perth Regiment"; then click on the Regiment's (Re-Enacted) Handbook.

In there they have some photos of how the Utility Pouch was also worn.

I too have had Vets (Bren Gunners-Infantry & Airborne) come up to me (and any member of my Re-Enactment Unit) and say the Utility Pouch is called a "Bren Pouch", "Bren Gun Pouch"; and when shown that they have been worn (both pouches) on the wearer's chest, refer to them as "Bren Gun Bra" or "Bra". Later on in the war, a sewn canvas version that could only be worn in this manner was also referred to as such; however, mostly just the term "Bra", as mentioned in From D-Day To VE-Day, The Canadian Soldier 1944-1945.

If one goes to various Internet Vendors selling the P-37 Web Equipment, they too often call them (as did the Vets and ex-service men using them) Bren Pouches, Ammo Pouches; and, sometimes mistakenly as "Basic Pouches".

The point trying to be made here is ... like todays military, and I'm sure this also holds true during WW2, personnel develop their own terminologies (including the instructors) for their equipment; and, also developed modified usage of this equipment, most oftenly during combat, which led to even further new given, generic, pet or made up names. Subsequently, these modifications were passed on back to the manufacturers, recorded in the "List of Changes" (some were not); and newer versions of the equipment were made. Look at the history of the Lee-Enfield No.4Mk1 rifle to name one example of thousands.

So if someone, a Vet and/or an ex-serviceman says that item there is a "Ammo Pouch", "Bren Pouch" or "Bren Gun Pouch"; and when worn in a certain manner, is called a "Bren Gun Bra" or "Bra" we all know its official name ... the Utility Pouch.

One other major point to mention here. Most often than not Vets using this equipment didn't know the propper names. They were tought what their instructors called it. That also applies for how they were to use it as well. In combat, even the lonely soldier wore his kit as it suited him and his needs, contrary to published regulations.

This is just more food to the fodder to chew on the subject.

Rgs...

Keyan