View Single Post
Old 27-04-04, 19:48
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCox
[B]FV - I think we not only think alike, we even smoke the same stuff - always makes me chuckle even more than the health warning on the pack.
I have to be careful with these smileys, the Obergruppenforumführer Binnington-Wall tells me I have a ration of 7 per posting.

McSpool tells me it means half-heavy and a medium cut, this doesn't help at all really. I now see it as the gentleman taking the weight on his elbows, as thoughtful people should, and has just returned from the pub.

I don't expect McSpool has time to comment though as he is very busy now with the two little McBobbins.
Quote:
"You might be better served with our National Lottery, a device where 20 million of the poorest people sponsor 250 of the richest to attend the Royal Opera House at Covent Garden. "
They're giving money to everyone EXCEPT those that need it ( ie ME)
Yes, so we will both be hanging about until the ice-age descends on Hell with a return to good judgement and common sense.

Quote:
"Obscene waste I call it, but then everyone else thinks I'm a cantankerous and awkward arse-hole."
And I'm often told that my politics are 'slightly to the right of Attilla the Hun.'
Just maybe we need more of that.

Quote:
A square meal refers to the 'hard-tack' or ships biscuit. Cooked twice so that it didn't decay, only the weevils gave it any noticeable flavour.
Hmmmmm, well, I'd cite the square plates that were used to get the whole gun crew around the tiny table; also these had a pronounced raised edge known as a fiddle; taking excess rations and so filling your plate excessively to this level would then be. . . . .

On the fiddle.

Quote:
2-6 - can't remember that one.
Ah, the ships gun crew are numbered, Nos. 2 and 6 are the ones that pull the ropes to run the cannon back out of the port to the firing position after a reload.

Quote:
It's not that I live close to Pompey, but spent 4 years as a Petty Officer Instructor with the Sea Cadet Corps.
Aha, all hands to dance and skylark then.

Mr Ball-Spinning, I do hope you appreciate all this detailed and free culture we are magnanimously supplying you with from this green and pleasant isle.

R.