View Single Post
Old 26-04-04, 21:34
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: One more for the pot

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
[B]And I was, I admit it. Funny to see how a colonial can wind up his master.
Yes. . . . . Being the dim sh-one-t that I am, it has only just dawned on me that the colonial Ball-Spinnington has surreptitiously wound me up further than a Stalwart on tarmac with six grossly mismatched tyres.
Quote:
Now I know why the colonial has to fill in all sorts of forms and answer many intrusive questions when he is entering the main island of the UK, while I as a EU resident can drive on waving my passport.
He'll have a few of them to do shortly.

And, you have reminded me, I have to renew my passport. No more impressive and large Royal blue, Her Britannic Majesty ones, nope, poxy fart-arse EU one that will call me an "EU Citizen". At least question 02 on the front page has enough boxes in the country of birth line for me to write
E N G L A N D.

Quote:
And yes indeed, it applies to the land of cheese and clogs too. That's why polls show the Dutch are even less fond of the EU than our British friends(!) Could that be because we are already stuck deeper in it than the people who (still...) have their own currency?
What a concise and considered response; we know the Dutch are renowned for their careful and reserved attitude, Hanno makes excellent sense and in brilliant English too. How many of us could string Dutch together this well?

Quote:
Collaboration is greatly facilitated by a common market and I feel that is where the EU goes wrong today: instead of solely facilitating the collaboration among Europeans by bringing down the barriers, the EU tends to strive for centralised control by proclaiming all sorts of directives - a consitution even!
The defunct USSR couldn't run it from the middle and apparently the nice Mr.Blair has got an ear pounding from the EU führers about the proposed referendum - they know what the result will be and don't like it.

Quote:
You know what? I'd vote for a constitution which has "thy shall not steal" as the first rule. Now, wouldn't that annihilate a large portion of the royal EU household?
Ah, a refreshing outbreak of common sense. I'd go for this.

R.