View Single Post
Old 13-05-09, 15:28

Default How Long a Cord?

Hi Bob-

I'll comment on the rest of the e-mail a little later. But could not resist commenting on ".... particularly when the teckkie from Miller suggests using a long extension cord to drop the amperage.... ????" did he give you any idea of how long the cord should be? Or around whose neck it should be coiled? If it had been the salesmen saying this the answer would be easy how far to the next sales district.

If every thing is wired correctly on your unit sounds like you should be able to spot weld two sheets of 1/4 inch plate. As to reducing the amperage how about a big a variack would you need?

Tips in the first image is 15/32nds rounded these seem to last well and are less critical of miss alignment. The funny U shape tip unit is for welding fender lips they are cone shape with a flat that start off new at 1/8th but fairly quickly flatten/burnoff down to 13/64ths when they seem to stay constant and weld well for a long time. I only use the fancy shaped tips on auto sheet metal which use a fairly low power setting and time. For most if not all the CMP spots I'm using the round tip as they can take the heat and just don't seem to wear/flatten/burnoff. I'll try to post some more still photos and detail explanation on my site let you know when they are up.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com