View Single Post
Old 11-05-09, 09:31
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper740 View Post
Actually, all marks of the the "Telescope, Sighting No. 22 and 22C had a magnification of 1.9X which, granted, isn't much. I've read that the 22C could also have been used with the 25pdr so the production of this sight wouldn't have been limited to Ram II production numbers. My 22C has a serial number of 9980-C. There are no markings on the focal plane other than "L", "R", and 4 graticules on the horizontal line. I also have the P37 webbing made for the sight to protect the eyepieces when the sight isn't mounted suggesting that it might have been common for the sight to be stored elsewhere than on it's tank, howitzer, or gun. Derek.
Looking through my No.22C MkII, R.E.L., 1942, 6699-C, I can see the slight magnification. It is specified in a manual on using the 25 Pdr. as an AT gun that I have a copy of dated 1942, along with the No.29 sight. The eye relief is about 3" at full field of view. This is the sight that is noted as giving 6 Pdr. gun layers black eyes in North Africa. There doesn't seem to have any any kind of rubber eye cup provided. I assume the reversed R and L on the crosshairs were to help the gunner lead a crossing target by referring to the direction of travel. Presumably the design was an expedient. One wonders why the No.24 sight for the 2 Pdr. was not modified to fit as the guns were practically useless and the No.24 looks much larger and more suitable - it even has a rubber eye cup!