View Single Post
Old 28-03-04, 10:52
Overvalwagen-o-logist

Default Heineken?

Hey Bill, thanks for that reply!

Opel P4's they are. You are right and you deserve a crate of beer (or jenever?)

The NEI indeed drove on the left, and all cars and trucks were rhd's.

Now, how did that Opel get there?

Pre-war NEI military were focused on Europe for equipment etc, but I think it is not possible that the Opels were coming directly from Germany, since they were rhd.

Opel= GM however and GM had excellent facilities in the NEI (Priok, Batavia/Jakarta's port) and had a strong market postition in commercial vehicles. My best guess is that GM Priok imported Opels from Germany prior to the war (sep 39) and that they were converted to rhd locally.

Another theory would be that GM sold this design (was the Opel P4 a indiginous German design?) all over the world and possibly under other brand names.

But, the following picture just proves that Opel rhd's were available in the NEI. It is a picture of a Opel Olympia of the VAC or Women's Drivers Corps in Batavia 1941. This volunteer womens' unit was trained and sponsored by GM Priok!

Thanks about the book list. I have the first one you mention, but it gives no info on NEI trucks. Such a pub. is missing.

Btw, me too I do not want to stray to much from CMP history. If anybody feels I do, please give me feedback?

Thanks again!

HTH
Nuyt
Attached Images