View Single Post
Old 15-03-04, 15:02
MLU Administrator

Default Re: braat's on ford/marmon herrington chassis?

Quote:
Originally posted by ericnuyt
Anyway, also on the US mission list there is a reference to 45 medium tractors Ford/MH, intended for hauling field guns and bridging equipment. Now I was initially thinking about tracked tractors, but of course these could have been wheeled ones just as well. What vehicle could this have been?
*snip*
Might these have been Ford CEO converted by MH to fwd? Vanderveen pp 347: Ford 09W/MH MM5COE for instance, used in a wide variety of functions?
The US Army mission report lists Light, Medium and Heavy Marmon Herrington Tractors - these are tracked ones, not wheeled.

As for COE Fords, attached goes a picture of the JJSCOE-4 Ford/Marmon-Herrington 1½-ton COE truck with 134" wheelbase. From 1941 onwards the depicted COE model came in 101, 134 and 158" wheelbase. Even though the KNIL ordered hundreds of Ford/Marmon-Herrington trucks, I cannot find references to COE trucks/chassis being delivered.
I believe the Overvalwagens were all based on CKD*) Chevrolet chassis assembled at General Motor's plant in Tandjong Priok, NEI. As far as I know Ford did not have such facilities in NEI, so they could not deliver at the rate GM could.

Hanno

*) CKD: 'completely knocked down' - restricted to destinations where the manufacturers had proper assembly plants. CKD entailed the supply of parts which could not - or not economically - be produced locally, supplemented by parts which could.
Attached Images