View Single Post
Old 15-03-04, 07:31

Hi all,

I would say that is the Borden tank. I have a photo (to be attached separately) of the same tank taken in Sept 1940. The damage in the armour on the left front corner of the cab is the same.

I think the inscription of Debert, 1945 was written on the second photo in error. It is unlikey the Vickers Mk VI B in the background would have been in use by that time.

Here's a quote from the Armour Bulletin in 1983, describing the Borden tank's partial restoration.

The 1918 Whippet Tank had arrived in Canada shortly after World War One and eventually was transported to CFB Borden during the 1930's. With the development of the Worthington Tank Park, the Whippet took its rightful place as one of the more unique AFVs in the park. With the passage of time the Whippet was starting to show her age. Large cracks had appeared in her armour and vandalism had resulted in further ugly damage.

In October 1982, CFSAOE Vehicle Company provided a Leopard ARV to lift the 14 ton tank onto a lowbed for transporting to the Militia Training Centre AVGP Hangar. During the next eight months, militiamen employed servicing the AVGPs, volunteered spare time to gut the Whippet, remove the two engines, replace the floor and control mechanism and finally repaint for presentation. A plexiglass door was installed to allow visitors a clear view of the fighting compartment and driver's station and controls. On completion, the Leopard ARV once again was called upon to pull the much lighter Whippet Tank into the museum hangar. The Whippet took up its last resting spot beside the much younger Centurion.

This web page has some other info on the origins of the tank. It may have been one of the ones sent to Canada for use in War Bond drives. I recall seeing a photo of a Mk IV or Mk V being used for that purpose.

http://www.eagle.ca/~harry/vehicles/worth/allied.htm

Cheers,

Gord Crossley