View Single Post
Old 03-03-04, 16:04
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default more info

Today , I measured one of the Ferret light alloy rims against a WW2 rim from my Morris CS8 .

Results :

The Ferret rim : The narrower outer split half measured 15 3/4" at the point where the two halves join , a slight angle is evident towards the bead shoulder on the rim edge .

The WW2 Morris CS8 rim measured at the same point is 16"

A definate difference in size .

I am 100% convinced that WW2 British made tyres were 0 degree bead type ( both RF and normal pneumatic types ). I have looked at the DUNLOP TRAK GRIPS on the CS8 rims here , they are marked S for synthetic RF1 and they are very old , these are 0 degree as is the WW2 Michelin tyre, marked - Made in England I have .

It seems the post war TRAK GRIPS made in the 1950's and 60's went to the 5 degree bead , that is why the Ferret rims are narrower. Try fitting Ferret TRAK GRIP RF tyres on a Morris or CMP , tight fit isn't it .

By the way , I have 14 ( yes fourteen ) CS8 rims here ! As far as I can tell there is no physical difference to the CS8 rims fitted with RF tyres .

To add to the story , in the early 1980's I found two brand new 900-16 OLYMPIC made in Australia directional bar treads , these were made until the early 1970's for our aging 25 pounders . These tyres fitted on a WOT2D easily . So I guess some 0 degree tyres were still being made post WW2

Is everyone confused now ?

Mike

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 03-03-04 at 16:30.