MLU FORUM

MLU FORUM (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Softskin Forum (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Russian Gaz (http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17665)

chris vickery 13-12-11 02:57

Russian Gaz

I am curious as to whether or not anyone on the board has or has had any experience with the Soviet GAZ69 vehicle?
I believe that Barry Churcher might have had one at one time.

Lang 14-12-11 23:10

Chris,

I had one for quite a while. Bought it in Indonesia and shipped to Australia. It was the 4 door "command car" version but exactly the same as the pick-up ones except rear body. Sold it to a collector in NZ.

I found it to be a delightful vehicle to drive. It certainly was better than the 1950/60 era jeeps. The comfort, ride and handling was terrific (for the era). No flashing performer but they will operate creditably alongside any 4 cylinder jeep or Landrover of the time.

Parts and English manuals are readily available. Really simple mechanicals. If you have worked on 40-60 vehicles you will find nothing unusual about them.

If I was looking for a light military vehicle of that era I would definitely have another one.

Lang

chris vickery 14-12-11 23:33

Thanks for the reply.
I am hoping that someone on my side of the world will chime in esp with regard to parts etc.
I see that the parts are obtainable from Russia but who knows if you'd ever see them-lots of scam artists to deal with in that part of the world.

Lang 15-12-11 01:26

Chris,

If you go on to ebay and find someone with more than a couple of trades you should be OK.

I have got vehicle and bike bits from Russian and Ukraine sellers and they arrived very quickly as advertised.

I might add that the biggest scam I have had was from Canada on a pair of very expensive veteran headlights. I have been bitten twice on smaller items from USA. The Russians don't have the game sewn up.

Lang

gjamo 15-12-11 02:59

Rusky vehicles

Hi Chris,
This forum is a good source of information.
Graeme

www.russianmilitarytrucks.com

malcolm erik bogaert 15-12-11 20:20

gaz jeep

yes I will second that Ive had 2 and they were very good..also had the wartime version and although the original ford look a like engine was kaput I managed to fit a new UAZ engine in without to much modification..it ran a treat and now resides with a major mv collector in Ireland..regards malcolm :cheers:

Barry Churcher 16-12-11 02:09

Hi Chris
I did indeed have one and have passed it on to another member of MLU. There are lots of parts in Germany and Poland. Actually any old Communist country. I got wheel cylinders from Bulgaria.
Cheers,
Barry

Slava 09-01-12 19:26

Hello members!

I'm from Russia, there are some of GAZ-69 driven.
I know a man who has a business to sell NEW parts for 69,63 and 51.
I can help to connect cause he probably didn't speak no-Russian.
Need though to interest for the way of export from Russia - there are lots of problems everywere. I can't for example export any army ammunitions and equipement and so on.